Friday, September 3, 2010

Make Your Own Fossils


The other day I was talking to my neighbor that is 6 years old. She was telling me all about how she went on a hike and the great things that she saw. As she continued to talk she told me that she found a really neat fossil while hiking. She was very impressed with the fossil so that got me thinking. My son is not ready to go hiking yet but there is no reason why we can’t make our own fossils.


Supplies:

Air Dry clay

An item to be your fossil print

We molded our clay into a disk shape and then we used a small plastic dinosaur as our fossil. We just laid the dinosaur on his side on the clay and pressed him in. We then pulled him right back out and set the clay over to dry. The clay will usually need at least 24 hours to dry. Since this was not a big challenge, I guess my son felt shortchanged because he then wanted to fossilize everything that was not nailed down. We also kept the frog fossil we made but the others he wanted to continue playing with them while they were soft so no pictures of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment