Thursday, September 16, 2010

Surprise Soap


If you have trouble getting your kids to clean up here is an easy idea to motivate them and it does not take much time or cost you much.


Supplies:

1 bar Ivory Soap

Grater

Small amount of water

Small toy



Grate one bar of Ivory soap. Once the entire bar has been grated, dip your hands in water and then use them to form the bottom half of a ball. Insert the toy on top of the formed soap in your hand and then cover with the remaining soap. Once it is well formed, set it over to the side and allow to dry for at least 24 hours before use.



I used the soap to hide a small dinosaur toy. One bar of Ivory soap made a large ball of soap that contains the dinosaur and then I had enough soap flakes left over to make an additional small ball of soap. My son is very excited about the prospect of finding a toy in his soap. Every time he gets the slightest speck of dirt, real or imagined, he wants to wash his hands.



I will also tell you that the grater that I used for this activity is one that gets used specifically for crafts. The last thing I want is for my fresh grated cheese to taste like soap or chalk or whatever I last had to grate for fun.

4 comments:

  1. I've been having the hardest time finding Ivory Snow Soap Flakes to do this. (When I worked in a center we make our own soap just like you did and soap crayons with Ivory Snow.) I never thought of grating an Ivory Soap Bar! Thanks for the tip! Happy Hand Washing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grating the soap is great since it is so inexpensive. I have never made the soap crayons but sounds like fun. How are they made?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you nuke a 1/2 bar of Ivory soap for about 30 seconds in the microwave, it bubbles up into a big bubbly heap....then it hardens and can be crumbled. Then you can use it instead of Ivory Snow Flakes.... It's really fun to watch through the Microwave window...but a little smelly.

    ReplyDelete