Monday, January 24, 2011

Tuesday Teachings - Math + Cookies = Happiness

One of our winter traditions is to bake cookies a few times a month. That is a lot of baking, so I like to sneak in some "extra education" when ever I can. On the week-ends that are just too crazy to take time out to bake, we play with math cookies.

To make these you will need:

Tan construction paper
round cup for tracing
pen
scissors
black marker
other construction paper

To make these, trace your cup on the tan paper for as many cookies as you would like to make. Cut out all of the circles.

Once they are all cut out, use your black marker to draw "chocolate chips" onto the cookies. You can put as many or as few as you would like. If you are going to play with your cookies as often as we do, you may want to laminate them. Ours looked bad after just one week, so I cut out new ones and laminated them.

When I made mine, I made 21 cookies - that is enough cookies to have from 0-20 chocolate chips. I also wrote the word for the number of chocolate chips on the back of my cookies. Now we can also work on reading skills while playing with out math cookies.

We play with them a few different ways.

1) My son can put them in order from 0-20.

2) I pick out certain cookies and lay them on another piece of construction paper and draw a line beside each cookies. My son then counts the number of chocolate chips and writes the number on each line.
3) I give my son the cookies, a cookie sheet and a spatula. He then pretends to bake up cookies for friends, family and stuffed animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment